By CalNews360 Staff
Five journalists and two military personnel were briefly held at gunpoint at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California after security officers mistakenly believed the group was attempting to enter the installation without authorization.
The group had actually been invited to the base to cover a groundbreaking ceremony for a new training facility for missile operators.
The incident happened Monday, August 17, near Santa Barbara, and was reported by local news organizations before being picked up by the Associated Press and other national outlets.
What happened at Vandenberg?
The journalists arrived at the base as part of an escorted media group attending the invitation-only event.
According to local reports, the group was traveling in a convoy led by a government vehicle carrying uniformed public-affairs personnel. After entering the installation, the convoy was stopped by security forces.
Barricades were raised, sirens sounded and officers ordered people out of the vehicles with their hands raised. Security personnel pointed firearms at the group while determining whether they were authorized to be there.
The journalists included reporters from KEYT, Noozhawk, KSBY-TV and the Santa Maria Times/Lompoc Record.
Two military members were also detained
The incident also involved two military personnel who were part of the group.
According to reports, the two service members were handcuffed and placed in base vehicles while the civilian journalists were ordered to sit on a nearby curb.
The journalists and military personnel were held for more than 30 minutes before being released without further incident.
No injuries were reported.
Why did security stop them?
Vandenberg officials described the incident as a breakdown in communication.
A Space Launch Delta 30 public-affairs spokesperson said the base has experienced an increase in unauthorized entry attempts and that security personnel are expected to treat potential unauthorized access as a legitimate threat until it can be verified.
In this case, however, the journalists were at the installation at the invitation of the base and were being escorted by military public-affairs personnel.
That apparent disconnect between the event organizers and security personnel led to the confrontation.
The reporters missed the event
The group had been scheduled to attend a groundbreaking ceremony for a new training facility for missile operators.
Because of the security incident, the journalists were unable to attend the ceremony they had been invited to cover.
The incident has since raised questions about how authorized visitors and media members are identified and communicated to security teams before events at the highly restricted installation.
Vandenberg orders a review
Following the incident, Vandenberg officials said the installation commander had ordered a full review of the media-coordination process.
The base said it takes both installation security and its responsibility to invited media seriously.
The review is expected to examine how information about invited journalists is communicated to security personnel and how similar misunderstandings can be prevented.
Why Vandenberg has strict security
Vandenberg Space Force Base is one of the most important military and space facilities on the U.S. West Coast.
Located along California’s Central Coast, the installation is involved in missile testing, space launches and other sensitive military operations.
That means security personnel are expected to respond quickly when they believe someone may be attempting unauthorized access.
But the incident demonstrates the potential consequences when security procedures and visitor coordination don’t align.
Local journalists call the incident concerning
Noozhawk Editor-in-Chief Tom Bolton said his organization respects the military’s responsibility to protect the installation but described the incident as unnecessary and potentially dangerous because firearms were drawn.
Bolton said he hopes to speak with base leadership about what happened and how similar incidents can be avoided in the future.
What happens next?
The immediate confrontation has ended, but the review ordered by Vandenberg could lead to changes in how media events and authorized visitors are coordinated.
The base has not indicated that the journalists or military personnel involved will face further action.
For now, officials have acknowledged that the incident resulted from a communication failure while emphasizing that security remains the installation’s top priority.
The bottom line
Five journalists and two military personnel were briefly detained at gunpoint at Vandenberg Space Force Base after security personnel mistakenly believed they were unauthorized entrants.
The group had been invited to the base and was traveling with military public-affairs personnel when the incident occurred.
Everyone was eventually released without further incident, and Vandenberg has ordered a review of its media-coordination procedures.
The episode serves as a reminder of how quickly a communication failure can escalate at a highly secured military installation.
Sources: Associated Press, KEYT, Noozhawk and The Washington Post.
Image note: The image used with this article is AI-generated for illustrative purposes only and does not represent the actual security incident, journalists, military personnel, or Vandenberg Space Force Base.